Back in 1966 after BMW acquired Glas, the automaker which was widely known for the Goggomobile series of minicars, one of the designs that the German auto giant had eyed on was the GT Sports car. However, instead of the same model, the company had planned for a convertible sports car that would be based on its platform.
For this, the Bavarians hired Frua, an Italian design house and coachbuilder to pen the design. The result was the 1600 GT Convertible of which only two prototypes were built. Visually, although the car was built on the Glas GT, it sported tonnes of BMW visual indicators such as the signature kidney grille and round headlights that were borrowed from the BMW 1602.
For the 1600 GT, the Bavarians hired Frua, an Italian design house and coachbuilder to pen the design
It also featured the 105bhp yielding engine as well as the rear axle that was borrowed from the sporty BMW 1600 TI. The Bavarians had planned to sell the cars in the United States after famed European vehicle importer Max Hoffman had originally proposed the iteration. Hoffman had earlier inspired the German automaker to build the 507. The 1600GT, on the other hand was poised to be a rather affordable alternative for the 507, which failed to create a mark in the market due to an expensive price tag. Unfortunately, the production was capped at two prototypes.
At present only one of those prototypes exist. While the first one saw its end after a crash during the test drive, shortly after its completion, the other was licensed to be driven on public roads and was gifted to leading shareholder Herbert Quandt.
It also featured the 105bhp yielding engine as well as the rear axle that was borrowed from the sporty BMW 1600 TI
For many years, the car remained in the hands of the Quandt family and was later passed on to other private owners, before being found by BMW and acquired again. Since then, the car has undergone a complete restoration to the original condition that has exited the production ramp more than 50 years ago. The classic car now radiates a new lustre and remains in BMW’s heritage collection.